Skip to main content

Q1 2012: Update for Tanker Operators, Brokers & Ships Agents: Live Locations, Free Usage, Customer Growth

electronic bill of lading


Q1 2012: Update for Tanker Operators, Brokers & Ships Agents

Live Locations, Free Usage, Customer Growth

Happy New Year and best wishes for 2012.  A quick update on the adoption of essDOCS CargoDocs (eB/L) solutions is below.

1.  Adoption status

  • Live and testing at 17 oil terminals and refineries in Europe and US Gulf.  Most recent live locations were Preem’s two Swedish refineries, with over 90 users trained in less than three weeks (see full list)
  • Latest shipowners to sign up to CargoDocs™ include Sovcomflot, Wisby Tankers, Tarbit Shipping and Palmali
  • BP Shipping and NGM Energy were the first shipowners to sign up their entire fleet
  • 48% of CargoDocs™ enabled vessels use essDOCS secure email client solution to sign eB/Ls, the remaining 52% access the solution via web-browser and always-on satellite internet
  • Fastest time to sign up a shipowner and have the vessel issue eB/Ls was one day
  • Fastest time for a Master to sign documents (and be ready to leave port) was 8 minutes
  • Last year live vessels were covered by the UK, Gard, Britannia, Skuld, North of England, Standard and Swedish P&I Clubs (for more information on P&I Club Approval of eB/Ls see para 5 below)

2.  Fees Waived for Owners and Agents

Recognising the commercial pressures on the shipping industry, essDOCS waived all fees associated with the use of our CargoDocs™ by ship owners, ship operators and ship agents.  As a result ship owners/operators can adopt and use CargoDocs™ at no cost for one vessel or the entire fleet.

3.  Upcoming Go Live Locations

Locations which will start use eDocs live with the next 6-12 weeks include:

  • Primorsk Oil Terminal
  • Repsol La Coruna Refinery
  • Chevron Pascagoula Refinery
  • ConocoPhillips Whitegate Refinery
  • Vopak Gothenburg
  • Azov Terminal
  • ExxonMobil’s Baytown and Beaumont Refineries

Over the course of 2012, essDOCS anticipates adoption by additional 20-30 locations beyond the 17 which are already testing or using CargoDocs™.

4.  Getting on board

  • CargoDocs™ is a web-based solution, so no software or hardware is required
  • New customers can be live within two business days
  • User training of operators and masters is web-based and can be completed within 15 to 30 minutes;  one master commented that using it “is easier than online shopping”
  • User support via phone, email or IM is 24x7x365 and provided from the UK

5.  P&I Club Approval of eB/Ls

Each of the P&I Clubs in the International Group has confirmed by circular that, provided carriers have signed the DSUA, standard P&I risks associated with the carriage of cargo under an eB/L issued using essDOCS CargoDocs™ Services are within members’ standard terms of cover (see IG Approval)

About CargoDocs™ and essDOCS

essDOCS delivers industry-led data solutions for electronic shipping and trade document / data solutions which improve physical and financial operations, compliance and traceability.

CargoDocs™ enable terminals, carriers, shippers, surveyors and agents to replace all paper shipping documents such as the Bill of Lading, Certificates of Quality, Certificates of Quantity, Timesheet, Ullage Report, Letters of Protest, etc., with original electronic documents.

More Information

If you require more information, please contact:

David Godfrey
Electronic Shipping Solutions
Head of Energy Solutions

T: +44 20 3102 6600

Share this article: